Tuesday, December 16, 2008

No Santa!

I have no clue why I obsess over this. My daughter is scared of quite a few things. She wants nothing to do with any stuffed animals that move or talk, although she loves ones that just play music. She doesn't even want to go into Costco for fear that she might see that Kota Triceratop or the big stuffed dog that obeys commands. So why would I think she would like Santa?

And yet, I keep trying. First try, Festival of Trees. We waited in line, and when we got there Santa (who had a real beard and looked just like a regular old man) said "Hello." Anne Marie said, "No Santa." There was no scene, just vigorous head shaking. He asked her if she wanted to sit on his lap, and she said, "No Santa." So we walked away, and she waved and said "Bye Santa." Then it was a repeated "No Santa" through the entire festival.

Next attempt: day care. They had photos with Santa when you picked up your child. It was a fundraiser: $2 and they print you one and send you a copy via e-mail. I figured since her classmates were doing it, she would be pumped. So we looked in the window, where her little classmate Adam was just leaving Santa. "No Santa!" We went inside. "No Santa!" After we left, I told her how Santa comes to our house and brings us presents. Probably to the shock of the parents around me, I told my not-yet 2 year old that since she wouldn't talk to Santa, he had no idea what to bring to her, and that he was probably really sad (see how sick and manipulative Santa makes me). Then I told her Santa was one of the fun parts of Christmas. "No Christmas," she says.

So today is Book Babies, one of her favorite weekly events. Santa is coming. I told Anne Marie Santa might be at Book Babies, and asked her if she wanted to say hello. She said, "No Book Babies." I might be giving up.

2 comments:

  1. this sounds normal to me. :) sorry- you probably have a year or two left until she appreciates santa. kellen did the same thing- it's not until this year that he decided santa is not a bad guy. he willingly goes up, but is still afraid to talk. however, at home, he isn't shy about telling us what santa is bringing him. :) at least she's not having breakdowns about it! :) i love how she just says "no santa." that girl knows what she does and does not want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne Marie is a girl who knows what she wants! I love her personality! I was also creeped out by the jolly man as a kid!

    ReplyDelete