Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thanksgiving

I love Thanksgiving, mostly because for me, it's a low-key, low-work holiday. Christmas lasts for at least a month. Even Halloween lasts for weeks with all of the carnivals, costume parties, etc. Thanksgiving is just one day. There is no pre-Thanksgiving party. You get up in the morning. You cook. You eat. It doesn't seem that special.

But yet it is. For me, it reminds me of my grandfather. I'm not sure why. It is the only holiday that we typically spent at my grandparents, so that might have been part of it, but there is more.

I think part of it is that he really appreciated a good meal. He enjoyed Thanksgiving, and was always incredibly grateful.

It's too bad Thomas never got to meet him, but since he passed away in January 2009, and Thomas was born in February, I'd like to think their souls passed somehow. Here he is, enjoying his first great-grandchild, Anne Marie.


From great grandparents

1 comment:

  1. Oh I can appreciate how you feel! For me, New Year celebrations or Hogmanay,as we say in Scotland, reminds me of my Grandparents and Great Uncles. They loved singing and playing instruments at that part of the year! I have lots of fond memories of the celebrations from my childhood.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family next week!!...

    ReplyDelete