Thursday, July 31, 2008

Kicking away

Things are always easier to say than do.

Despite the fact that circumstances led me to a c-section with Anne Marie, when it comes to birthing and medicine in general, I'm a natural-type of girl. Despite the fact that I was on numerous make-you-feel-icky anti-seizure drugs and large amounts of pitocin, I sat in the dang hospital for almost two whole days, most of it in labor, with no pain medication before the c-section. Honestly, when I concentrated really hard, labor was actually more exhausting than painful. When I didn't concentrate, it was pretty much unbearable.

I really hate drugs and unnecessary tests. We didn't to the Down Syndrome test with Anne Marie and we won't with this baby either (Honestly, there isn't a lot we could do to prepare anyway, so why know ahead of time?). And, I've always said I wouldn't want any extra or unneccesary ultrasounds. I thought one at the beginning and one in the middle was enough to make sure things were OK. Why interrupt Bean in his/her peaceful little womb?

Maybe I'm a bit too preachy and hasty.

On Tuesday, Matt, Anne Marie and I went down to IF for my doctor's appointment. Everything looked fine, but, as the PA suspected, we couldn't hear the heartbeat yet. With a glint in her eye and a little smile, she said, "Why don't we take a peak and see him/her?"

There was no need for an ultrasound, really. Bean was likely fine, and if not, nothing can really be done at this stage. I wasn't worried, but I wanted to see the little legume.

So we went into the ultrasound room and saw Bean, who was really freaking out! Anne Marie really wasn't a mover (in or out of the womb), but this little frijole knows how to groove. I saw Bean fly from one end of the womb to the other, little leg-stubs kicking like crazy.

In the end, I was so glad to see him/her, and although next visit we'll probably skip the ultrasound, maybe I'll be a little bit less preachy the next time someone asks me if I'm going to 'have that test,' or 'do that procedure.'

1 comment:

  1. dude, women with beans growing in their uterus can change their minds and decide what they want to on any whim. it's your tubes, baby. how exciting that you got to see bean, though- and that bean is on the move! there is something comforting about actually seeing that on a screen when you can't feel it yet.

    ReplyDelete