Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Saving the evening

Julia at Working Mommy Wednesday asked for a money-saving, time-saving, etc. tip. Here's what has saved my life this summer.

When I get home from work, my immediate instinct is to start dinner. I don't want my children to starve.

That plan doesn't work, AT ALL.

Instead, I've been taking 15 minutes to read a book, sit on the couch or just cuddle. It doesn't sound like a time-saving tip, but the kids are happier, and I think dinner actually gets on the table faster. Sometimes, I put pasta water on to boil, then go to the couch, read a book, talk to the kids about their day, and, about the same time as the pasta needs to drop, I've got happy kids ready to either help me or play happily with each other, as opposed to having wild beasts who want to eat me alive as I desperately try to cut vegetables.


3 comments:

  1. Sounds a lot like my evenings too! Its so hard not to just drop everything when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is seriously genius. Now that I think about it, I employ the same move; five minutes on the floor building block towers earns me 20 minutes of uninterrupted writing/editing time. I'll have to keep this in mind for the future as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally true!! they will appreciate those moments so much more!! great tip

    ReplyDelete