Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Destressing

This week, Julia at Working Mommy Wednesday asked how I destress. I guess I don't, really.

To me, it seems like by the time I get home for the day, I've missed too much of my kids. So it's all about them. It might make me crazy later, but it's how we're working it for now.

One thing that has saved my sanity is a special treat we get each summer at work. SUMMER HOURS :) :) :)

Instead of working from 8-5, we work 7:30-4 p.m. with a shorter lunch. I don't think I can even explain the difference between picking a child up from daycare at 4 versus 5. At 4, they have had an hour less to exhaust themselves with the other kids. We come home, and I have an extra hour to spend focused on them before I have to make dinner. Coming home at 5 means cranky, screaming kids fighting while I rush through cooking, hoping to survive. Coming home at 4 means walking in the door, reading a book together, looking through our menu plan to find a dinner we can make together, maybe even going for a short hike on a nearby trail on our way home. It's peaceful.

In three weeks, we go back to regular hours. I'm not ready. But I think I learned something this summer. Maybe dinner doesn't have to be ready at 5:45. Maybe I should sit down with my kids and read a book even if we're home an hour later. Maybe it's not so bad to let them have a snack and postpone dinner for a bit so we can destress together. They need the destress as much as I do, I think.


2 comments:

  1. you hit the nail on the head... spending that time will be so much more important than getting dinner on the table. and yes, one hour can make a huge difference. i know the feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Some good tips for when I start the daycare circus in a few months! I'm a bit worried about balancing that with work as well. Right now hubby is home with baby for a few months while I work - but then we both are (sigh). It sounds like you have a great idea for a bit more time with your kids!

    ReplyDelete