Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Confessions of Motherhood

Working Mommy Wednesday is all about the true confessions of motherhood.




So, here goes, starting with the easy:

* I really miss cooking. We have dinner at home most nights, and I have solved the problem of trying to cook while being at home alone in the evenings with tired and angry children by using my crockpot every Monday and Wednesday without fail. But, with my full-time work schedule, I don't really ever get to COOK anything that takes effort. It's sad planning my meals for the week and skipping over anything that takes more than 20 minutes to prep. Anything that takes more than 20 minutes to cook has to be something that comes together easily and goes in the oven so I can forget about it until it's done. I actually like to chop vegetables. Cooking was once my stress release.

* I want to spend more time with my kids, of course. I am really happy that my husband and I have been able to make it work so that my kids are home many more days than at daycare, but I still get jealous on the days when I'm at work and he's at home. I wonder if he gets jealous when I'm at home on the weekends and he is at work.

* This is the biggest confession. People think that working moms get their adult time when they are at work. Yes, my co-workers are adults, but going to work is certainly not the same break as a movie with a friend or a bubble bath alone with a cup of tea. And what's more difficult is that working mothers (at least me) feel horribly guilty doing those sorts of things because we are already missing so much. I don't want to leave my kids for an hour in the evening because I've already left them the whole day. So those occasions are pretty rare, but sometimes I daydream about them.

* Most importantly, and all whining aside, it's all totally worth it.

3 comments:

  1. I completely understand what you mean about getting adult time! I did my whining today about getting some quiet time when everyone else has too much to say, or is needy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, i always turn down friend dates and stuff b/c i want to get home with my kids!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally hear you on the last point. Its so hard to justify time doing things away from the kiddo when I'm already away so much. I know in the long run its probably best for everyone but its just hard.

    ReplyDelete