Wednesday, November 17, 2010

National Premature Awareness Day

Did you know that one in eight babies is born too soon? Today is National Premature Awareness Day, and I just wanted to publicly thank all of the nicu nurses who cared for my baby late at night when she couldn't be home with me for her first 18 days of life. The nicu nurses who cared for Anne Marie are incredibly competent health care providers, but they are much more. They sit with crying parents, and compassionately deal with women who are emotional from the roller coaster of pregnancy combined with uncertainty about their children. They take 1 a.m. calls from mothers who are up pumping, wishing they could be up feeding their baby instead — I never called, but they always offered, and it made a difference just knowing that I could.

They always made sure that all the little girls, even the tiniest ones, had bows in their hair and that all babies had specially decorated nameplates on their isolettes. I don't know if they understand how much that touched me and relieved my anxiety. I felt like it was a sign that they cared for her, not just as a patient, but as a little girl. In my mind, I thought, "If a nurse is going to take the time to comb my baby's hair and put bows in it, she sees her as a person, and really cares."

I credit the nicu nurses for bringing my little girl from here:

From Anne Marie hospital


To here:

From Anne Marie hospital

To here:

From Redfish 2007

It's because of them that I have this cute little girl today:

From Teton Park and fair


So, nicu nurses, know that we are forever grateful, and that you and those you care for are always in my prayers. 

2 comments:

  1. Emily,

    I didn't know that today was National Premature Birth Awareness Day. You also have a cousin who was premature.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete