Friday, September 14, 2007

Life at work

On weeks like this, I miss being in the office full time. It's not because I miss the adult contact. In fact, at work, I rarely get real adult contact anyway. :)

Today, my morning started off fairly normally, with a meeting that was supposed to be about the next day's paper, but rapidly went downhill until it was all jokes that only reporters and photographers who have seen plenty of destruction would understand. It ended when someone walks by and says, "It's birthday cake day in the breakroom."

Later in the day, a reporter comes up and asks me if we can use the word "vaginally" in the paper, as in a baby was delivered vaginally. I told him I thought it was fine, but my cubicle friend and city editor said vagina was a dirty word, and he should say "delivered naturally." The reporter then started singing "vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina" to help desensitize his co-workers to the word. As I left, ad people were trying to explain to one of our copy editors that he couldn't say he was a 10th degree black belt in his employee of the month ad because he definitely wasn't, and he couldn't just add the words, "self-taught" and make it OK.

It's weird, but I kind of thrive on it. It's amazing, but a lot of work gets done in that place. My co-workers are some of the hardest-working people I know. I do miss them when I'm working from home. And I definitely miss the people who've left recently. And, because these blogs look so much better with pictures, here's a photo of my former cubicle-buddy Greg on the first day I got my camera.

2 comments:

  1. work environments like that are the best- places where you feel comfortable enough to have fun, but get work done. :) i love the vagina story- there's currently a picture in our prac room where someone has drawn something on the board that has a smiley face, but there is debate as to what it is. we all see a similarity to an upside down penis, but that appears to be gender specific. a friend and i were discussing it and our supervisor was there and he looked at it and said "is it a uterus?" we then decided that the picture on the wall was some kind of twisted rorschach for all of us to take. psychologists have weird kinds of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that guy in that picture is one sexy b****!!!

    ReplyDelete